home  |  login  |  EspaƱol  |  site help
Advanced Search
KEMI is making workers' comp work.
  Username or  
Email Address:
  Register  |  Forgot your Username or Password
Quick Pay
Online Registration
Provider Locator
Downloadable Forms
Online Audit
Report Fraud
  Agent Book of Business
Agent Commission
Business Information
Quick Pay

Login     Register
  Quick Quote
Online Application
First Report of Injury
Certificate of Insurance
Policy History
Order Poster
Generate Loss Runs

Login     Register
  Claim Detail

Login     Register
  Update your profile
Change your password
Change your email
Administer users

Login     Register

Agent Questions  |   Employer Questions

Looking for our FAQs regarding the dividend?

 What is the Special Fund Assessment?

The Special Fund Assessment is imposed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky to fund and pre-fund the liabilities of the Special Fund and help finance the state workers’ compensation program (including the Kentucky Department of Workers’ Claims and portions of the Kentucky Department of Labor).

Insurance carriers are required by Kentucky statute to add the Special Fund assessment to the total premium charged to an employer for workers’ compensation coverage. The full amount of the assessment is transferred by the carrier to the Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Funding Commission on a quarterly basis.

 How can coal companies obtain their "Drug-Free Workplace" certification to be eligible for a 5% premium credit?

A company designated as a licensee of the Office of Mine Safety and Licensing (OMSL) can submit a written copy of its drug-free workplace program to OMSL for certification. To learn more about the certification process, click here.

If the program is certified by OMSL, the company must submit proof of the certification to KEMI in order to receive a 5% credit on its workers' compensation insurance premium. The program and certification must remain in place the entire policy term to earn the premium credit.

 How can a business obtain its "Drug-Free Workplace" certification from the state of Kentucky to be eligible for a premium credit through KEMI?

Applications for certification of the drug-free workplace are currently being accepted by the state of Kentucky. To learn more about this certification, click here. If the program is certified by the state of Kentucky, the business must submit proof of the certification to KEMI to receive a credit on its workers’ compensation premium. The program and certification must remain in place for the entire policy term to earn the premium credit.

 Are my employees covered while working in another state?

The KEMI workers’ compensation policy provides coverage for Kentucky benefits as provided by the extraterritorial provisions of the Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Act, KRS 342.670.

 How is a workplace injury reported to KEMI?

A First Report of Injury, IA-1 Form, should be completed and sent to KEMI's Claims Unit as soon as possible. We accept these via telephone, fax and mail. Our registered users can login to our secure area and submit  an IA-1 online.  KEMI's Claims staff will be happy to assist you in completing this form. (KRS 342.038 requires the employer to notify its insurance carrier within three (3) working days of receipt of notice of injury/illness or alleged injury/illness.)

 What are the benefits of implementing a safety program?

A safety program can affect both your direct and indirect costs. The direct benefits of a safety program may result in premium discounts offered to policyholders that have effective safety programs and fewer or less severe injuries, which also results in a lower experience modifier. All these factors combined can lower the amount a business pays for workers' compensation coverage. The indirect benefits of a safety program include, but are not limited to, reduced employee absenteeism due to injuries and illnesses, reduced costs associated with recruiting and training new employees to replace injured workers, and increased worker morale and productivity.

When are benefits issued and how often?

There are three types of indemnity benefits: temporary total disability (TTD), permanent partial disability (PPD) and permanent total disability (PTD). Each type of indemnity benefit has a different calculation defined by statute and uses specific information related to the claim. Please contact KEMI’s claims staff at 1-800-640-5364 for questions regarding a specific claim.

Can an employer be charged for outside labor and subcontractors?

The Kentucky Workers' Compensation Act requires an employer to provide coverage to employees, including employees of any uninsured subcontractor.  KEMI will collect premium from the employer for anyone considered to be an employee or an employee of an uninsured subcontractor.

We will not charge premium for an individual deemed to be an independent contractor.  These individuals are not covered under the Act.  A KEMI undewriter or auditor will gather information in an effort to determine if an individual meets the standards to be considered an independent contractor. 

For more information on the audit process, contact KEMI’s Audit Department.

 What is a KEMI independent contractor questionnaire?

The independent contractor questionnaire (ICQ) is a tool utilized by KEMI to assist in the determination of an employment relationship. Note: the KEMI Independent Contractor Questionnaire is merely a tool. It is not a waivoer or substitute for coverage. Filling out and signing the form does not mean you are considered an independent contractor. 

Click here for the Independent Contractor Questionnaire (requires Acrobat Reader to view).

 What payroll do we use for included sole proprietors, partners or corporate officers?

Effective January 1, 2018, the payroll amount for an included sole proprietor, partner, or member of an LLC is $43,400. For included officers of a corporation, the minimum payroll is $44,200; the maximum payroll is $171,600. These amounts are based on NCCI Basic Manual Rules and are subject to change.

 What is needed to cancel a policy?

To request policy cancellation, submit one of the following:

  • Completed Acord Form 35 - Cancellation Request/Policy Release
  • Written notice which should include the effective date of cancellation and the reason for cancellation.  The notice must be signed by an officer/owner of the policyholder; or
  • Click here and complete the KEMI Policy Cancellation Request Form 


Privacy Policy  |  Secure Access Agreement  |  Browser Standards  |  Site Plugins  |  Report Fraud
Report Business Conduct & Ethics Concerns
  Copyright ©
Kentucky Employers' Mutual Insurance  250 W. Main St., Ste. 900 Lexington, KY 40507